Untold Sequence interviews Marcelus


martes, 11 de octubre de 2011





French Techno Dj & Producer Marcelus talked with us and shared some words about his life, points of view and incoming projects and releases. Read the interview and listen to the USQMX 023 he recorded specially for us.

USQ: What setup did you use to record the USQMX?

I used vinyl and a Xone 92 mixer.

USQ: Tell us about you?

My name is Cédric Bros, i'm a french dj producer, i'm 25 and i live near Paris.

USQ: How long have you been involved in the world of Techno music?

Well I’m into techno music since 1995, i discovered techno and house music through radio, back then there were two radio stations in Paris (Radio Nova & FG) playing this kind of music and it was really exciting even if I didn’t really understand what it was all about at the beginning, I just felt in love with this music.

I remember it was the early beginning of the “French touch” thing, I didn’t know about clubs, about djs, labels, I really didn’t get it in the first place to be honest. Then i learned more and more stuffs about techno and house during the following years, I started to make beats around 98 with a little game for making music, i was really young and it was fun to do that, i wasn’t thinking yes come on i will release records or something like that, and then, years after years, i stayed tuned, the first times in clubs, first records bought and turntables, and my passion for music kept growing and obviously it became much more serious, it took up more and more space in my life until my EP1 on DRH. So i was around for a while.

USQ: How do you see the evolution in your music since you started until now?

It’s really simple in fact, it’s mainly the approach that changed during the years, at the really beginning it was a game, many years after that, i was making music for releasing it, thinking too much to the record in my hands…


USQ: What about the electronic culture and scene in Paris? Tell us the pros and cons for you.

Well this is not new that France is not THE techno country, for instance it’s nothing comparable to Germany, artists, labels or clubs, it’s obvious there is not the same enthusiasm for it, but I think we have some great places for electronic music though, of course in Paris you have the Rex Club and few other good clubs, i also had a really nice surprise lately, i played in a huge warehouse just next to Paris, a very great place, nice atmosphere, it’s rare to find this here and it was so perfect for playing techno.

USQ: Which are your biggest influences at the time when you do your own music, and how was the process to reach the sound that characterizes Marcelus?

I work until i find something that is really me, I mean personal, and interesting, it can be soft or hard, simple or more technical i don’t know, whatever, i want to feel something, of course there are producers i love which are very influential, and obviously people can feel my inspirations in my music I guess, but i have to choose, and to struggle a bit against myself to put out what i ve got inside me. I don’t listen to any other producers’ music when i m producing mine and i think that’s also important.

USQ: If you have to describe your sound, how you would do it?

I would say Techno...

USQ: Last year you released yourself very strong with your EP on DRH. Tell us a little of the history of how you finished editing at this important label and how is your relationship with Cyril Etienne?

I went to a deeply rooted night at the Rex club and DJ Deep was playing, he played very great tracks that night, i knew his name and what he did before but after that night i really wanted to give some of my tracks to him, and it’s what i did, he liked them and he asked me to come to Paris to meet him and discuss a bit about my tracks.

The “EP1” came out, and was well received yes, lots of DJs played it and i really didn’t expect that, because it was my first record so… anyway I just didn’t know what to expect I guess. I think we try to make interesting records, we take our time, it’s not easy to surprise him because he got an incredible knowledge about music, also when i saw his record collection, i was really impressed, but you know I do not pretend to reinvent techno or house neither and he knows that and that’s all so I just send him tracks and we talk about it and it’s really that simple.

USQ: You made a track on the last Ann Aimee compilation, how did that come together and what does it mean to you?

Yes, they were following me since my EP1 and they asked me a track for this compilation, it regroups producers emerging since 5/6years. It’s a great project, when I saw all the others producers involved, I was really excited because I love them all and it’s a pleasure to be part of it of course.

USQ: A couple of months ago, we read that you are planning to open your own label, how is that project going?

That’s right, i am planning to open my own label in the next months, I will start to manage everything, paperwork etc during the next weeks, I know I will be really busy with it but it’s exciting to be able to release what I want, my music and also some other artists, well I am working on it!

USQ: What’s coming from Marcelus the next month?

There is my track 24/7 on the inertia compilation #2 coming out very soon on Ann Aimee, I did a remix for Ascion and Davide Carbone’s label, Repitch, I am also working on a new remix and a new Marcelus record at the moment.

USQ: Top 5 of best tracks ever for you?

Well I can give you 5 tracks that I love very much if you want but no ranking.

The Black Dog - Cost 2
Vector Lovers – Future in Plastic (Claro Intelecto remix)
154 – Abrighterday
Robert Hood – Home ( I played it in the mix!)
Jeff Mills – Kat Race